I Heart Brie Larson

fan girl memeWe interrupt your regular programming so that I can have a fan girl moment – I love Brie Larson.

I must be one of the only people in the world who doesn’t enjoy watching films. I get fidgety. My sister point blank refuses to go to the cinema with me or even entertain the idea of me putting Netflix on because I have to Google the run time of every film before it starts and I lose my concentration within the first twelve minutes. The only good thing about the cinema is pick & mix. The nachos always seem like a good idea but I hate that little pot of gloopy tepid “cheese” shit they give you – what a stupidly messy food to make people eat in the dark. Basically, what I’m trying to say, is that I haven’t seen “Room” but going off the fact that Brie Larson won an Oscar for it, I’m pretty sure it’s a good film.
It was actually an interview that I read in The Sun – someone had, quite rightly, abandoned that wank rag on a train, I didn’t buy it – that cemented my love for her when she talked about having to audition for all the “sexy girl” roles in Hollywood in the same “sexy girl” uniform that has become custom. The push up bra and the jean skirt. People still wear denim skirts in America and they call them jean skirts, which makes them sound cooler but the rest of the world know better. A denim skirt is up there on my “Stop Doing That Immediately” list, along with when women wear strapless tops with normal bras so their bra straps just come out all brazenly from the top like “hey, I could pass as being the straps to a vest top from a distance”. No you fucking can’t. Anyway, I digress but this is what she said about old roles she had to do compared to the ones she will be doing, and I like it:
It’s finding a way for us to really share what it means to be a beautiful, strong, sexy, commanding woman that doesn’t just look like one thing and it’s not your average weird 14-year-old’s fantasy. I hated every time I could feel a director eyeing me and trying to put me in wardrobe that was like what he used to visualise as a teenager. We need to break free of that. But that involves it coming from both sides
I like her because she’s honest. I like her for admitting that some directors can be creeps like that and try and mould the female lead in any film to their little fantasy. I like that she’s admitted that sometimes you grin and fucking bear it because you need the job even when you’re sick of people looking at your face but thinking about your tits. I like that she complained about that rather than the pay inequality for women in films (sorry, I know it is the principle that women should be paid the same in any industry but come on, it is a lot harder to sympathize with multi-millionaires).

I love her. She’s hot as hell, she’s articulate and she knew she was more than just a drippy, eye-candy role. It’s so easy to coast by just on looks these days and in a world where our female icons are vapid contoured ghouls like the Kardashians and women aspire to have a big butt because it gets men, not because it makes them feel better about themselves I like that someone can know they are attractive but want people to know them for more than just that. I just like her. Plus, she killed it off in that gold gown at the Golden Globes and gave me serious body envy and made even this grumpy vampire want to get a tan.

Brie Larson Golden Globes

BEVERLY HILLS, CA – JANUARY 10: Actress Brie Larson attends the 73rd Annual Golden Globe Awards held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on January 10, 2016 in Beverly Hills, California. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images)

22 Comments

1. You can’t sit through movies ether, eh? I’m pretty much the same with a lot of modern movies (avid viewer of the oldies especially sci-fi and horror), I find myself flicking through my Twitter or Sky News Apps while just listening to whatever is happening. I did watch Deadpool recently though because I like the character and it was pretty good.

I like your point about it being hard to sympathize with multi-millionaires. I think it was Jennifer Lawrence that said it a few months ago when she got under paid a few million compared to her male counterparts in a movie she did that while she could have demanded more money, but, at the end of the day she was still making millions from what she had done. You’re right though, Hollywood does need some big changes in how people are viewed and treated, it’s an industry that was founded during the prime time of sexism and looking down on women and it’s only gotten more subtle and clever about how it goes about doing it in modern times. Good post yet again, Jaye!
    PS forgive my grammar it’s pretty wank.

• JayeRose

March 4, 2016 at 11:46 am

Oh God, I HATED Deadpool! I went with my family for my Dad’s birthday and I told my sister when she booked it that I didn’t want to go and I’d hate it as can’t watch anything violent at all and ended up walking out after the first 20 mins!

2. I think the only time I knew of her was from the file Room. Which was OK, a little slow at the start if I’m honest but interesting all the same.

Never thought of you as a Vampire – the more you know.

3. Eric from Cincinnati

March 3, 2016 at 9:51 am

I don’t go to movies. I’ll wait for the DVD so I can watch at my leisure. It took me a week to get through the last batman movie.

4. DPJ from Devon

March 3, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Hello there,
    i’ve just read through all of your posts, and i must say, i’ve really enjoyed them. You’re witty with your responses. You have a great way of putting things that may be more awkward to others. And you don’t take things too seriously, you can find the funny in anything.
    I do hope you keep this blog up as it is a great insight into your life, the past one, and the future on.
    I hope you attain everything you want in your future career, whatever that may be, you seem to have the determination to go on to do great things, add to that the humour and the presence of mind to put your past behind you.
    By the way, i noticed in your first post you mentioned being likened to Lacey Turner (Stacey in Eastenders), i think that may have been me on your Tumblr page. I apologise if that offended you, it wasn’t meant to, it was a younger me, trying to compliment you, but probably just ending up sounding like a werido.

Anyway, i’ve waffled on enough, best of British in all that you do 😀

• JayeRose

March 4, 2016 at 11:47 am

Aw, thank you for your lovely message and your kind words. It’s so nice to know people are supportive!

I think I’ve been called Stacey Slater about 250 times in my life so don’t worry, I wasn’t singling you out haha X

5. There is a dearth of roles for smart, strong women in Hollywood. The recent splurge of comic book/superhero films bear this out, with the females at best playing a supporting role to the guy in spandex. But it’s been that way for years, you’re a young actress in Hollywood and going for an audition – is it the slut, the victim, the vamp or the fat funny one? It’s good to hear a woman’s perspective on these issues, just as it’s refreshing to hear an African American stand up and say, Hollywood is racist. Just needs more talent to say it’s also sexist.
    As for having attention deficit when it comes to sitting still and watching a film, that is getting more common these days. We are a generation of 4 second attention……where was I? Ooh look, a butterfly!
    Keep thinking, it keeps you sane. 🙂

• JayeRose

March 4, 2016 at 11:48 am

I could sit and read a shelf of books and not move all day but sit me in front of a tv or cinema screen and once my pick & mix have run out I’m ready to leave!

6. Donkey Lovin'

March 4, 2016 at 9:05 pm

I’m going to have to disagree with you on denim skirts Jaye. I think they’re fab!
    Anyhow, as you’re having a fan girl moment about the excellent Brie Larson I would recommend that you check out her role in the TV series The United States of Tara. She was brilliant in that, even to the point of scene-stealing a number of episodes from her (then) more illustrious cast mates.

7. jaye, do you feel men are the weaker sex? I mean we talk to our fantasies (you) and what are we hoping for? Sad. Me too. Anyway… You missed out on Deadpool. And the Room is a great read, but you have you own preferences so I want preach, but if you have time read then: snow drops, night train to Lisbon.

• JayeRose

March 5, 2016 at 11:34 am

No, I don’t think there is a weaker sex but men are driven more by base desires. I’m no scientist but it is just basic biology if you go back to like caveman times, men needed to reproduce and populate the world so they needed to have a high sex drive or whatever.

8. Please don’t hit with the spelling and grammar hammer of justice.

9. Hey Jaye whats do you think about “pay inequality” in your former industry? Should men pay be payed as much as women? 😉

10. Yea the nachos are always shit. I usually get the popcorn and instead of drenching them in butter I drizzle jalapeno pepper juice on them. FUCK that’s good.

• JayeRose

March 7, 2016 at 1:30 pm

We don’t have that here – you just get salt or sweet popcorn and I only like toffee popcorn. Can’t get my head around the appeal of popcorn! Just end up with all those horrible little kernel bits still in my mouth.

11. Laurence Brown

March 8, 2016 at 12:07 am

Start of the year, never heard of her, now she’s the new flavour of month. Fair enough, nought to brie in 6 weeks lol. Also you read the sun!! EWWW! haha :p

12. Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.